Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lightning - Guadalupe Mountains National Park

This has truly been a trip of firsts. Last evening, shortly after dinner, our campsite darkened quickly with ominous storm clouds billowing over the mountain. Luckily, before the rain poured and the winds blew fierce, I had a short opportunity to try and capture the beauty of some the nearby lightning strikes with my camera. I had no special equipment. I couldn't even use a tripod with the blustering wind. To put it simply, I got lucky. I managed to catch four or five strikes out of hundreds of shutter releases. Still, I am pleased to be able to add these images to EduPic. Incidentally, it turned out to be quite a long night with our tent constantly buffeted by the wind, shaken by thunder and rain, and flashed by nearby lightning. It was interesting to note on our hike the next morning the numerous lightning charred trees along the trail!

2 comments:

Laurie Surles said...

Unbelievable picture! Nothing like playing with Mother Nature, huh?

Anonymous said...

That looks beutiful and dangerous at the same time. I would love to go there for a night in the pouring rain.